Btw, this entry is not some GP paper thing ya. Just thought of penning my thoughts down, and it came out rather lengthy and picture-less =P (I'm starting to learn from Karina liao. Oops!) LOL! Enjoy reading while you can, bcos I'll be off to Youth Camp soon! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee~~~
A harsh reminder about the working society. Older workers, ranging from middle-aged to the elderly, has a slimmer chance of getting that same job applied by someone of my age. Prior to that, they have an extensive and relevant working experience (excluding educational qualifications) as compared to me a fresh university graduate.
Although I do have some working experience for the past 6 years, after getting jobs here and there to temp during the major holiday breaks, I still cannot compare myself to those "old birds". Yet, sometimes even if you take so many upgrading courses and certifications, have so much working experience in various positions, it (that lifelong learning bull-crap) doesn't really help when you start finding another job after you hit the 40s age range, your future seems so bleak. You then start contemplating working at fast-food joints, else you are only left with your pride and bank account to depend on. For how long, I do not know.
Of course I dun raise this issue up for fun or for blogging purposes, ya know. I'm really not that free to talk cock only. Bcos of that phone call with my auntie last Wednesday afternoon, it made me realise how easily it is to lose a job and how difficult it is to maintain one, given the excuse of the human age hindering performance and productivity, as well as more salary to pay them for the same position to us.
I reckon we young adults can be rather unproductive at times too, unless you are saying how much we try to swallow the crap our bosses tell us to do lah; that I think we have a higher tolerance bcos the "old birds" would have shoot the bosses straight back. After all, they are in the working world far longer than we are on this earth.
However, I still feel that 姜还是老的辣!* (simply, the older ginger is always spicier - literal translation). The older generation have definitely went thru more financial recessions, more retrenchment exercises, more bills, more crap and more politics than us, the younger generation of adults. They pretty much know how to handle these kinda situations and they are wise in their ways to advise the lil kids, us.
What I'm driving at is that, the society should not condemn these wise "old birds" so soon, just bcos they finish up their paperwork slower than the younger birds, or their reactions to act upon sth is not as quick as b4. Dun tell them, "I dun think you are suitable for this job. You should look for sth for suited for you. Ya know, like those jobs that ends with -er or -ess."
WTH! You are just trying to tell them to scram and that they suck in their job lah! No wonder most of the waiters, waitresses (not including air stewardess) and the other occupations "that ends with -er or -ess" have many grouchy and grumpy people, bcos they are simply not as happy as b4, in their current jobs. Sighs.
Give them a chance to work on and not be a nuisance or any kinda problem to society, esp when they can function perfectly well now. Why make people feel so inferior and demoralised when they had no problem working for you for the past years? No wonder so many middle-aged adults are getting depressed and suffering from erratic and unreasonable behaviours, simply bcos they have lost confidence in themselves!
Yes, its true that 旧的不去,新的不来* - if the "old birds" dun leave, the young ones like us cannot enter the company. But I'm sure there's a better way to work this out? Maybe compensate them or get them another (smaller-scale) job in a (smaller) company or sth. At least they will be useful in society, generating more GDP and income tax for Singapore. LOL!
You know, all the coloured ribbons projects in Singapore; the yellow one for the ex-convicts, red for AIDS, pink for breast cancer etc. I think this group of demoralised middle-aged adults need a coloured ribbon too! Maybe blue will be good. Ya know, its an ironic colour, so that they won't feel blue about their self-esteem and all. Ha! Or, orange is good too: 雨过天晴* (clear skies after the storm)!
Oh wells, I guess that's all I gotta say for now. Pardon my writing standard, I pen it out the way I think only. No grading system needed ya. So, any takes on this, or am I just the only one bothered by this issue? Hmmm..... =X
p/s: "old birds" does not refer to those stupid middle-aged people who just eat snake* (slack and laze in the office) all day only, those people can just scram. Give someone else (preferably, a hardworking one) a chance to earn those bucks please.
No comments:
Post a Comment